Monday, May 30, 2011

Day of unexpected events

Well, a lovely memorial day weekend. Just a little “stay-cation” if you will, with 3 whole days of my husband. Yes, thats a good thing. Since he usually works until 7pm it was nice for all of us to spend some time together. We played outside, did some shopping and on our final day together, we were greeted by some lovely dead mice in our garage and a leaky hot water heater. Now thats what I call fun. Oh, did I mention that we just replaced our hot water heater last February ’10? We bought our house in December 09. Yep, 2 months in our new house and water  cascaded through our basement out of our old, rusty hot water heater. Thanks home inspector... yes you were worth every penny. Ugh, so since today was the holiday we will be waiting until tomorrow to sum up the damages. I’m really looking forward to it. It could be worse I’m sure, but come on.
So deep cleaning was the theme of our memorial day shindig. Emptying the garage was my husbands job, thank god. Tiny mouse corpses just aren’t my style. I enjoyed the air-conditioned house with our two children leaping from the couch while I pulled it apart and cleaned the food out from under it. I’m surprised the mice didn’t find their way upstairs, they would have had a field day in our couch. It’s a monstrous green L-shaped couch with a cuddler at one end. It comes apart in 4 pieces which made for a lot of fort and jumping fun for my kids. It really didn’t matter how many times I asked them not to jump on the couch or climb on top of it because they still did it until I turned on my “mean mommy voice” and threatened them with time outs that I just didn’t have time for. Surprisingly, I am one of those  mothers that threatens and rarely follows through. Well, when I do, they know mommy means business. 
Ice cream was our dining choice followed by pizza and margaritas. Yes, we did dessert first. They ate more dinner than usual. I think it’s nice to switch it up every once in awhile. Since the theme of my entire relationship with my husband seems to focus on doing EVERYTHING backwards, I find it only necessary to apply that, every once in awhile, to my parenting tactics. I’ll give the run down on my “backwards” relationship in another entry, when I’m feeling adventurous and have a ridiculous amount of “me” time. 
Well I’m all liquored up after todays festivities, so, I hope everyone had an amazing holiday. We shall chat again soon! I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment