Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fireworks


Its funny how things change when you have children. I was never a big fan of fireworks until I saw how much my kids loved them.

We have been going to Maine now for a few years on July 4th. Its kind of a tradition and I like that. We started taking my daughter with us 3 years ago and my son 2 years ago. This year was the first year that we didn’t have to stay right on top of the kids. They are old enough to hang out in the kiddie pool, even though we were still sitting on the edge with them, and they usually listen when we tell them not to splash other kids, take their toys, ect.

So it was just a nice vacation. Of course we had our afternoon temper tantrums and night time meltdowns, but it was a lot easier for the most part. So, on July fourth, we watched the fireworks from the huge lawn at our hotel overlooking the ocean. They so close if looked like the fireworks were coming right at us. My daughter saw them last year while my son slept in his stroller. She had described the fireworks as candy falling from the sky.

This year, she loved them too. She was like, “Hey mom, you know which one I like best? All of them!” My son, seeing them for the first time, shouted “Horay” and “More, More!.” Then, “Look Mommy, Look!” It was so cute. My daughter was starting to get cold and wanted to go back to our “house in Maine” and then she would see a huge display of fire in the sky. She said it looked like fire and ice. Then one of many “I cant believe my eyes mom!” would randomly jump out of her mouth. It was just a pleasure seeing the fireworks through their eyes.

I’m personally not a big fan of them. I would rather just watch them on tv and avoid the crowds, or just forget about them altogether. Now, I’m singing a different tune. To see things through my children’s eyes makes me appreciate just about everything so much more. I am so fortunate to have them. They teach me more than I’ll ever be able to teach them.

I really got to just enjoy my family this week and I’m sad that it’s over already. My husband goes back to work tomorrow and it has been so nice having him around. My kids and I really love spending time with him, so I have to say, the rest of the week is not looking to enjoyable. We’ll make the best of it, we always do. It is, however, almost the weekend, so that's a plus.


Just wanted to drop a quick blog and say I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! I have more stories, but that's the first one I wanted to share with you. Until tomorrow then.

No comments:

Post a Comment