Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Perfection Project



So, just after I wrote my last entry, “soul searching” I realized that I was running late to a new class I was taking at the gym. It was outside since the usual turf was being occupied by this years summer soccer camp. I made it just in time.

While I was covered in sweat and panting, the wind seemed to blow at just the right times. It lifted my matted hair gently off of my face and in a moment where I was struggling to do just one more anything, I felt luxurious and at peace. I noticed the trees and how they just let the wind take them in any direction. They were always vulnerable to what mother nature had to offer and they just swayed with it. They danced to the rhythm of the seasons. At this moment, their leaves were flipped up exposing their lighter side of green. Which in my experience means a storm is coming. It really felt like the calm before the storm.

While in this state of discovery and appreciation, I started thinking about perfection. I realized that most things of value are one of a kind. The less their is of something the more valuable it becomes. The Mona Lisa stuck out to me for some reason. A one of a kind, replicated by many, piece of art that may perhaps be to valuable to put a price tag on. It is the only one of its kind. Some people love it, others probably think its ugly.

By our typical standards of today, she’s not that attractive. To some, she may be a goddess. My point is, she, like the painting is one of a kind. The original version cannot be replicated. It is a priceless piece of art and so are you.

Every imperfection, freckle, different colored eye, even your jiggle in the middle, is priceless. It cannot be replicated. It is who you are and what makes you valuable. You cannot be bought by anyone. Your worth is immeasurable. You are a gift to anyone you chose to share your life with. Your spouse,  your children, your friends and family. You are a treasure and no one could take your place. No one is just like you. For you are one of a kind. So that, like an exquisite work of art is priceless. You should know that.

The Project

I dare you to find perfection in something you think is imperfect. I double dare you! As you do whatever it is you do today, look at the world. Notice things in your world that you usually judge or hate about your world. It could be anything.

Do you or have you had that one cup that wasn’t dishwasher safe but  you don’t read directions so you put it in anyway. It then melted slightly and took on a strange shape that still resembled a cup, just a little different, more unique. I bet it was your favorite cup. You couldn’t buy another one. Its imperfection was perfect for you. In fact, it was your favorite because it was different. That happens a lot doesn’t it? With a lot of things, not just cups.

So why do we all strive to be perfect? What does perfection mean to you?

Just think about it and open your eyes.

Here are a few examples of what I mean....

Your old couch smells but you can’t afford a new one so it pisses you off that you have to sit on it and look at it every day. Now look at the couch and remember when you first bought it. How much you loved it and how nice it looked the first time you put it in your living room. How many memories have been made on that couch. The stain from one of your kids or your self that always reminds you of how much fun you had the day you made it.

OR

Look at yourself and that jigglie belie that you keep meaning to get rid of. Touch it, wiggle it, appreciate it. When your ready to change it you will, but for now love it and realize you wouldn’t be you without it. I’m sure your the only one that really has a problem with it anyway so just let it go. Love yourself and all of your imperfections. Realize that’s what makes you valuable. That’s what makes you priceless.

Now go on out there and look at the world. Let me know what you see. I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Welcome to the beginning of a perfectly imperfect day!

1 comment:

  1. For this project I thought of the most imperfect disgusting thing I could, rotting garbage with maggots. I could see that even in it's grossness nature has designed away for old, used up, outdated things to be removed and I saw the beauty and perfection in it!

    ReplyDelete