Tuesday, June 28, 2011

10 Things to make me smile

So I read a blog today, The Mommy Therapy, and today’s post was 10 things that make me smile. It came from another mommy blogger trying to spread some love. With the funk I’ve been in, mother nature stalking me and this unforgiving head cold, smiling might just be the medicine I need. So let’s see what I can whip up.



1.My Son

As I write, he is laying at my feet sleeping on the hardwood floor. I can smell that he pooped, but I can’t decide if I should wake him up. I will write this then do the dirty deed. No matter what I do during the day or how annoyed I am at any one of a million things, he always has something funny or cute to say. Even his random... “Iew, stinky poot” makes me smile. Poot is my son’s word for poop. The voice, the sweet face and lack of ability to annunciate is just precious and melts my heart.

2.My Daughter

I know, a bit clichae but my kids really do make me smile. She gets so mad sometimes that she stomps out of the room and tells me “this is unacceptable and ridiculous” then she threatens me with a time out if I don’t stop telling her what to do. Ah, I can’t even be mad. I will remember these times when she does the same thing only she’s a teenager and it’s not so cute.

3.My Husband

Yep, it had to be next. I can’t help it, I am in love with my family. They drive me crazy but bring me the most joy. Now, when I watch my husband with my children I always smile. His patience and kindness inspire me to be a more patient and kind individual. I am almost 30 and I have learned so much from him. His voice in the middle of a scream filled day instantly calms me. He still calls me when he gets to work and during his lunch. I’m addicted.

4.Ah the tickets

If you didn’t read, I lost our amazing red sox tickets. The sweet ticket man printed us out a new ticket so we could go. However, while I was losing my mind over our lost ticket I fell in love with my husband all over again. Money, tickets, fathers day...it didn’t matter to him. He just brushed it off and was ready to hit the streets and have a nice dinner. Love that! That will keep me smiling for years!

5. Celebrating Mother’s day

My husband took the kids and let me travel to my hometown to have brunch with my mom, aunt and cousin. We had the best time EVER! Simple but sooo fun. It’s been a long time since I could relax and hang with some of my favorite ladies!

6. My favorite white pants

I have had them for years and they always fit. They are super comfy and look fantastic.

7. The pink pen

I am a little pen picky. I only like ball point. So my daughter has this cute pink pen with pink feathers on the top. I randomly used it one day since all my other pens were lost in the void where they keep the pens and socks. I feel in love instantly. Then the other day, I caught the dog chewing on it! Have mercy puppy! Luckially, no harm done, but, the pink feathers were chewed.

8. Blogging

I am new to blogging. It’s been about a month and a half and whew, what a load off. It’s like an instant community full of friends that just get it. It seems that all of us mommy bloggers ban together and support one another. Seriously, just what I needed! Thank you ladies for saving my sanity!

9. The phone

Not the actual phone, and usually, I’m not a big phone talker. But...I know that I can always pick it up and call my mom. Yes, I know, sad but true. I still talk to my mom almost every day. I like knowing that I can just pick up the phone and she will be there to talk me through my emotional drama and isn’t afraid to tell me what I need to hear. Sometimes I need a good slap, or just a voice telling me to knock it off. She helps me see the brighter side of life.

10. This Realization

While thinking of things that made me happy, I was sad to realize that I could hardly think of anything except my family. It seems I look to them for my happiness when I should really be looking inside myself and at the things around me. How sad is it when a person can think of at least 50 things that make them unhappy and barely come up with 10 things that make them smile. Whats up with that? Well thank you for this activity, while I wanted to make it clever and silly, some soul searching took place instead. I’m going to have to do this at least once a week and hopefully some much needed smiling will come from it!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking up! It is always good to look for those good things, especially when life is hard. My husband is so laid back and goes with the punches in the good way too- it really has made me a better and more relaxed person.

    Welcome to blogging and glad you are enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Emmy. Its so nice to hear from other moms. I'm having one of those days and thinking of 10 things to make me smile, while rather hard, made me find my happy place. Hope I can find it again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing this list is often therapuetic for me too, because I usually think of my family too. This is a pretty fantastic thing to realize because there are a lot of people don't feel like that....but I definitely get what you are saying about wanting to also find something that's just for you.

    I dig deep for the things that resonate most with me, or I also just list the first thing that sticks out at me when I walk around the house. It's a serious process.

    I've found blogging to be such a joyful escape. Glad you are enjoying it too.

    Thank you so much for you comment today! I couldn't email you back because it seems like your email is marked as private in your blogger profile...but I wanted you to know that I really appreciate your sweet, encouraging words. This is a great community for support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this list and I love it when people look for happy instead of sad! You are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete