Thursday, June 16, 2011

Inglorious Bastard

I had the pleasure of pulling a tick out of my 2.5 year old sons leg. I found it while changing his diaper since it had weaseled its way right under the thin side of it on his upper thigh. That inglorious little bastard! I was mortified that a tiny, disgusting, creepy tick found my son to feed on!

When I found it, I thought that it was a little scab. Then I realized that it was a devil bug that could possibly be carrying a life altering disease. Tick, I will F you up! I had learned from my sons school that to remove a tick you should wet a cotton ball with warm water and soap and then apply it to the area where the tick had bore a hole in to your child’s body. Well, that wasn’t exactly how they put it, but that’s what I got from it. So, a paper towel was what I had and I applied this concoction to his leg.

It actually worked. This parasite finally backed its ass up out of my son. It’s wiggly barbed like jowls were still embedded into my sons flesh, so I had to tug a few times before it finally released its death grip. Whew, all in one piece and the bastard was still alive. I wanted to rip every leg from its body and hack it's head off! Instead, I double bagged it so it could be tested.

I called the doctor, just in case, who will do nothing unless my son starts to show signs and symptoms of lymes disease. So, lets wait until its to late, hope he even gets that bulls eye rash, that not everyone gets, and try to decipher if a 2 year old is tired and having joint pain in the next few months. Thanks doc. for all of your expertise. I’ll have my husband do all the dirty work. He is going to take the tick to the pathology lab himself.

I’m not that mom that runs to the doctor every time they cough or sniffle, but Lyme's disease is no joke. My sons pediatrician also said that even if the tick tests positive for Lyme's that doesn’t mean they will treat him. I realize it’s probably no big deal and the tick wasn’t really engorged. Ugh, but, I’m more of a “better safe than sorry” kind of girl so that kind of pissed me off. Thanks again for caring. I wonder what they would do if it was their child. I’ll give you three guesses, but you’ll only need one. I should’ve asked them that but I doubt I would’ve gotten the truth.

It was a fun filled afternoon and now I feel like bugs are crawling on me. I’m all skeeved out and I keep checking the double bagged bastard. It’s still in there, crawling around. I’m afraid that he will sneak out and find it’s way to my son again or my daughter. YUCK! I wish you all a tick free summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment