Monday, June 20, 2011

I Lost the Tickets!

I’m not sure where I should begin. Yesterday, my husband and I went to a Boston Red Sox game. A friend of his has season tickets and they are pretty much right on the field. My husband had intended to bring his father, since it was fathers day, but he was unable to attend due to a very hectic work schedule. So, I went in his place. WOOHOO! I’ve been to a Yankee game before in the nosebleed section where you need binoculars to see anything! I didn’t even know you could drink beer at the stadium. So sad, I know.

So we drive a few hours, stop for gas and of course I had to pee. I was in charge of the amazing tickets which stayed in my wallet. Well, except when I used one to punch directions in to the GPS. Apparently, the ticket never made it back into my wallet. Yep, I lost the ticket.

When we got to the stadium, we paid some kind of ridiculous amount to park and I hauled ass to the front gates. Yes, I had to pee AGAIN! I open my bag, pull out my over sized black wallet that safely housed out “golden” tickets without bending them and what do I see.... 1 ticket. But how! They were right here! We had them both in the car! I only took 1 out to get the address! Now I start to hyperventilate and run back to our car. It has to be there. I bypass the parking attendants and tell them I have my own key.

I rip open the door and pull apart my car. It has to be somewhere! I had them in the car! I took one out for a second, didn’t I put it right back in my wallet?! Its not there. Now I start to think I left it out and the evil parking guy took it. I was about to make him empty his pockets. My husband talked me down. I freaked out. The ticket was no where. I looked everywhere about five times. Nothing! I threw some stuff away when we stopped to get gas, apparently, my ticket went too. OMG! I ruined our amazing day! No kids, awesome seats, beer....Gone! Now I’m about to pass out.

So what does my husband say. “It’s ok honey, it’s just a baseball game. Lets go grab some food. No big deal.” WHAT?! NO BIG DEAL! We had box seats! ON the field! Not that we are crazy baseball fans, but you can’t just get those! You have to know someone, or kill someone, you know. I’m obviously exaggerating, but you get where I’m going with this. I refuse....I will not be defeated! I’m finding that ticket! This can’t be the end of it.

So we grill the parking people that barely speak English. Then I search the lot for any sign of the illusive ticket. Nada. My husband is still trying to calm me down and directs me to a bathroom. I still have to pee. Maybe I’ll throw up too. I can’t believe I did this!

My husband is all fine and good. I have never experienced this. Yell at me, be mad, something. Please, don’t let me get off this easy. He just hugged me and told me everything was going to be fine. There will be other games. Lets just get a drink and some food. REALLY?! At that moment I realized.... this is love. Right here, right now. All I could think of was that poem or whatever it is they read at weddings. “Love is patient, Love is kind”.

I personally define love as words. I always want my husband to spill his guts and tell me how much he loves me. That’s what I do. I write cards, letters, I talk his ear off telling him how much I love him. I was actually in the car on the way there trying to get him to say something, anything about how much he loves me. He always says I love you and agrees with my “love rants”. Honestly, he’s just not the type of guy to say those things. It’s not his style.

I learned yesterday that words are just words. If they aren’t backed up with genuine love and compassion they mean nothing. I will never question my husbands love, ever. I’m pretty dramatic and we’ve been through some tough times. Who hasn’t. I have, once or twice, wondered if he still felt that way about me. That crazy love we had where no words could have described it. It was a feeling that couldn’t be explained. You would only understand the feeling if you’ve experienced it yourself. If you did, you would just get it.

We still have it. Life is crazy, we have two kids and two dogs, but its there and it always has been. I don’t know if I would have been so understanding if he had lost a ticket. I probably would have huffed and puffed and helped him look and then accepted it. I have all the words. I could write him a poem, but do I show him compassion? So many times.... no.....no I don’t.

So, I’m glad that happened yesterday. The experience opened my eyes to what love REALLY is. I will never forget that day. I will never forget what I learned from my husband. He is truly a gift.

We made it to the game by the way. After all that, we went to the ticket services counter and showed the man our lone ticket. He made a few calls and printed us out a new one. “No big deal, it happens.” That's what he said to me. I cried. The guy laughed, but I couldn’t believe it! I think I embarrassed my husband a little, but he understood.

 He never made me feel bad about my mistake. He just had my back. We were literally 4 rows back from the field. I could see the sweat on the players. It was AWESOME! I couldn’t believe my husband wasn’t even mad at me for almost missing this. “It’s just a game honey, don’t sweat the small stuff.” He’s right.

1 comment:

  1. That is definitely True Love.. I would like to think that my hubby would be that understanding, but I'm doubtful.. lol
    I am the same as you in regards to defining love with words.. My hubby isn't very good in the communicating department (without whiskey) and I'm a talker,, plus need to hear it.. oh well!!
    I hope you guys had a great time!!

    No So Silent Mommy

    ReplyDelete